Friday 20 February 2015

More on the Metro

I really like the Paris Metro, and the more I travel on it, the stronger that like becomes. One of the reasons it appeals so much is the way it acknowledges its history and surroundings in the variety of the stations.

Whereas London Underground stations are getting more and more anonymous as period details are hidden behind plastic panels and corporate branding is slapped across everything, in Paris not only are original decorative items being replaced (where necessary) like for like, but some stations are being given an completely individual look.

Until recently my favorite was easily line 11 at Arts et Metier and its Captain Nemo inspired copper submarine steampunk stylings, but now it has competition at Cluny - La Sorbonne. This is a recent makeover, because I am sure that last time we visited the station it was dingy, dark and not stylish. Now, judge for yourself.

 Another advantage the Paris Metro has over the London system is one of price. If you buy a one way ticket for cash a single journey on London Underground will cost £4.80  - 6€49 (if you put it on your oystercard, £2.80 - 3€78). A one way single ticket that covers zones 1 and 2 in Paris is 1€80, almost 1/4 the cost. If you buy 10 single tickets that comes down to 1€41 a trip.

Finally, on the metro you can look through the driver's window, a bonus if you're into that sort of thing. (No, that's a reflection, Susan isn't driving)



Paris Metro? Love it.

11 comments:

Colin and Elizabeth said...

I agree entirely, the Paris metro is great... Col

chm said...

As I recall, the Varenne metro station exhibits some replicas of Rodin's work shown at his nearby museum.

Susan said...

Could do. I've never been to Varenne metro as far as I know. When we went to the Rodin Museum we walked from Champs-Elysée-Clemenceau.

Susan said...

I think the métro has lots of fans.

Tim said...

"No, that's a reflection, Susan isn't driving"
You should have let us guess...
that blissful look on her face..............

Liselle said...

Love it, love it, love it. It's a study in demographics, aesthetics, behavioural psychology and much else. AND it gets you where you want to go quickly and economically.

Ken Broadhurst said...

The Cluny-La Sorbonne metro station was opened again in 1988, after being closed since 1939. I think the current decoration at the station has been there since 1988. Maybe it has been "refreshed" since then. I'm not sure. I don't think I've seen the new Arts et Métier station but will have to go there next time. In fact, the metro is very efficient, but riding the buses gives you a much better view of the city. At rush hour they can be slower than the metro, but during off-hours during the day or on weekends, the buses are a real deal.

Susan said...

I know from our time in London it is always a good idea to travel by bus enough that you get a proper feel for the geography of the place. I remember being one of the few people in my office who could confidently get myself home on days when the underground was closed.

Susan said...

I'm always impressed by how quick the metro is, even when you are crossing town. The only station to really avoid changing at is Chatelet. And the people watching on the train is often most absorbing.

Susan said...

I think you'll find that is my polite travelling on public transport staring into space face.

Simon said...

Ken. I read that, but I am sure I have never seen that interior before. Almost as sure as I am that I am not unobservant enough to miss it...

Post a Comment